Written by Dr. Brad Burgess
Are you one of the thousands of people who experience negative emotions during the Winter season? Do you typically describe yourself as upbeat and cheerful but then something changes with the season? S.A.D. stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. One of the major reasons this occurs is due to the decrease in the amount of sun we are receiving. Changes in the sun can affect Serotonin and Melatonin levels which will effect your mood and sleeping patterns. Our Circadian Rhythm (our body's internal clock) is regulated primarily by the amount of Sun we receive on a daily basis.
Many people believe that because it's a seasonal problem they have nothing to worry about. But, through our research on the brain we know that nerves that fire together wire together. These changes in mood such that include depression, lethargy, antisocial, and even being short-tempered can affect us on a long term scale. Our brain and body becomes accustomed to feeling this way and our body can become stuck in this pattern.
Ways to Improve S.A.D:
1. Chiropractic- Allowing your nervous system to be free from interference and adapt to your environment will allow the body to manage the hormones and chemicals it produces. Regular adjustments can help break the habits of negativity and improve brain health.
2. Essential Oils: Essential oils carry specific frequencies which effect our brain, specifically Limbic System which controls our mood and Circadian Rhythm. Best oils to use: Patchouli, Wild Orange, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Lemon, Geranium and Jasmine.
3. Negative Ion- Negative ions have been shown to improve S.A.D. greatly.(1) Negative ion generators and salt lamps are two great choices for increasing negative ions in your living space.
4. Light Therapy- This does not include Tanning beds, sadly. Tanning beds can help to mimic the sun, but they contain harmful EMF. EMF has been shown to actually promote depression. LED light therapy effects can depend on the color. Light therapy also helps to reset Circadian Rhythms.(2)
Choosing these natural and sustainable practices for health will help you live your ideal 100 years without having to worry about side effects.
1. Controlled trial evaluation of exposure duration to negative air ions for treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.)
Bowers, Bonnie et al.
Psychiatry Research , Volume 259, 7-14
2. Infrared Light and Color Therapy with Color descriptions:
This article is provided by Elite Chiropractic and Wellness
your 100 Year Lifestyle Affiliate Chiropractor in Sterling Heights MI
[ Go back ]