The Magic of Mushrooms
Written by Dr. Brad Burgess
Before you get too excited, I didn't say Magic Mushrooms ;). Even though magic mushrooms have been shown to heal the mind, we are focusing more on nutritional and medicinal mushrooms.
Besides being delicious, mushrooms have some incredible abilities that make them quite magical and powerful. Many mushrooms are used in alternative medicine because they are Anti-Viral, Anti-Inflammatory, antibacterial, fight cancer, increase brain power, brain regeneration, and overall health.
Low in calories and fat, mushrooms contain a modest amount of fiber and over a dozen minerals and vitamins, including copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc and a number of B vitamins such as folate. Mushrooms are also high in antioxidants like selenium and glutathione, or GSH, substances believed to protect cells from damage and reduce chronic disease and inflammation.
Oddly enough, mushrooms are closer to the Animal kingdom than to the Plant kingdom. This is exactly what makes them so beneficial to humans. Mushrooms can experience some of the same diseases as humans and must create their own immune system, which we can utilize.
The most powerful component of mushrooms is Beta-Glucans and Polysaccharides, which help the body attack cancerous cells and boost immune function. Beta-Glucans are complex sugars that empower the Immune system allowing it to kill pathogens, viruses, bacteria, and cancers much faster. Polysaccharides attack cancerous cells in the body. These mushroom beta-glucans have also been shown in animal studies to decrease body weight, glucose levels, cholesterol and triglycerides in diabetic mice. The beta-glucans also appeared to have a very positive biochemical effect on insulin receptors that equated to improved insulin sensitivity.
So, let's take a look at some of the best Mushrooms out there:
1. Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor): This mushroom has been used for medicine dating back to the 15th century! This mushroom is known specifically for its anti-Cancer power. But recent research has shown its incredible power for gut health. This species supports beneficial bacteria while suppressing inflammatory species. This species has also been shown to increase survival rates in chemotherapy patient by 60%.
2. Lions Mane (Hericium erinaceus): One of my favorites, not only for medicine but also for eating. Lions mane is a game changer for the brain and can help give you an edge on competition. Some of the benefits are:
o Increasing brain function
o Nerve regeneration via Nerve Growth Factor
o Helps Parkinson's and Alzheimer's patients
o Fights Depression and Anxiety
o Boost immune system
o Decrease Inflammation
o Improve Circulation
3. Reishi (Ganoderma species): Reishi is known as the Mushroom of Immortality and has been revered in Traditional Chinese Medicine since the discovery. This mushroom has been proven in clinical studies to have a strong anti-inflammatory effect that also works to balance blood sugar and regulate blood pressure. In regards to the immune system, Reishi boosts three key modulators (TNF alpha, interleukin-1-beta, and interleukin-6) that naturally seek out and destroy cancer cells and inhibit angiogenesis, the growth of new blood vessels that feed cancerous tumors. Reishi also helps to improver liver function and detoxification.
4. Cordyceps (Ophiocordyceps sinensis): Cordyceps is known for its Anti-Aging effects and increase in athletic performance. The anti-aging effects come from its ability to stimulate ATP production, ATP is the source of our body's energy. Cordyceps has also been shown to help heal Autoimmune type diseases including Leaky Gut syndrome. Cordyceps boosts athletic performance by fighting fatigue, treating muscle aches, and preventing muscle weakness. Cordyceps is also known as a natural aphrodisiac by increasing blood flow and oxygen concentrations.
5. Chaga (Inonotus obliquus): This mushroom is so versatile and incredible at treating many issues from chronic inflammation, skin diseases, rashes, bacterial and viral infections, you name it. Chaga is also incredible for exercise as it increases glycogen, fuel for muscles, and decreases lactic acid levels in the bloodstream. Chaga can also be used in combination with coffee to prolong the effects of caffeine but without the jitters.
These mushrooms can be a potent supplement to help you live your ultimate 100 Year Lifestyle. Being proactive with your health by taking advantage of these mushrooms and utilizing Lifestyle Chiropractic Care is a game changer. Help you body help you by empowering your Nervous system, keeping it free from interference and also giving it the nutrition it needs to thrive.
This article is provided by Elite Chiropractic and Wellness
your 100 Year Lifestyle Affiliate Chiropractor in Sterling Heights MI
[ Go back ]